3 Apr 2017

10 Praise and Worship Songs You Need to Hear



Need worship songs for your phone, car or gatherings? Here my Top 10 Christian worship songs.

1. Oceans (Where Feet May Fail)

Artist: Hillsong United

Hillsong has been a prominent producer of great worship songs and experiences. They come from the worship band of Hillsong Church, located in Sydney, Australia

Theme

Their hit worship song Oceans has been widely received and used in household and churches throughout the world. Oceans is themed around having a relationship with a God that calls us into places that we are not used to, but that bring us closer to him.

Lyrics:

You call me out upon the waters
The great unknown where feet may fail
And there I find You in the mystery
In oceans deep
My faith will stand
And I will call upon Your name
And keep my eyes above the waves
When oceans rise, my soul will rest in Your embrace
For I am Yours and You are mine
Your grace abounds in deepest waters
Your sovereign hand
Will be my guide
Where feet may fail and fear surrounds me
You've never failed and You won't start now
So I will call upon Your name
And keep my eyes above the waves
When oceans rise, my soul will rest in Your embrace
For I am Yours and You are mine
Spirit lead me where my trust is without borders
Let me walk upon the waters
Wherever You would call me
Take me deeper than my feet could ever wander
And my faith will be made stronger
In the presence of my Savior
I will call upon Your name
Keep my eyes above the waves
My soul will rest in Your embrace

I am Yours and You are mine


2. How Great Is Our God

Artist: Chris Tomlin

Chris Tomlin is a popular worship artist who is known throughout the globe, with hit songs like 'Our God' and 'Forever'.

Theme

How Great is Our God is one of the best known and most used worship songs. Its simple lyrics focus on the greatness of God

Lyrics:

The splendor of the King, clothed in majesty
Let all the earth rejoice
All the earth rejoice
He wraps himself in Light, and darkness tries to hide
And trembles at His voice
Trembles at His voice
How great is our God, sing with me
How great is our God, and all will see
How great, how great is our God
Age to age He stands
And time is in His hands
Beginning and the end
Beginning and the end
The Godhead Three in One
Father Spirit Son
The Lion and the Lamb
The Lion and the Lamb
Name above all names
Worthy of our praise
My heart will sing

How great is our God

3. Who Am I

Artist: Casting Crowns

Casting Crowns is Christian band that produces a mix of rock and worship music. It was started by their lead vocalist, youth pastor Mark Hall. 

Theme

This worship song focuses on the fact that God is everything and the relationship we can have with Him is because of what Jesus did for us on the cross.

Lyrics:

Who am I, that the lord of all the earth
Would care to know my name
Would care to feel my hurt?
Who am I, that the bright and morning star
Would choose to light the way
For my ever wandering heart?
Not because of who I am
But because of what you've done
Not because of what I've done
But because of who you are
I am a flower quickly fading
Here today and gone tomorrow
A wave tossed in the ocean
A vapor in the wind
Still you hear me when I'm calling
Lord, you catch me when I'm falling
And you've told me who I am
I am yours
Who am I, that the eyes that see my sin
Would look on me with love
And watch me rise again?
Who am I, that the voice that calmed the sea
Would call out through the rain
And calm the storm in me?
I am yours
I am yours
Whom shall I fear, whom shall I fear?
'Cause I am yours

I am yours

4. Come Alive (Dry Bones)

Artist: Lauren Daigle

Lauren really knows how to make beautiful and meaningful music. Her life story is also inspiring.

Theme

This song is about people letting the Holy Spirit liven them up to what God has called us to do: be His people.

Lyrics:

Through the eyes of men it seems there's so much we have lost
As we look down the road where all the prodigals have walked
One by one the enemy has whispered lies
And led them off as slaves
But we know that you are God yours is the victory
We know there is more to come
That we may not yet see
So with the faith you've given us
We'll step into the valley unafraid, yeah
As we call out to dry bones come alive, come alive
We call out to dead hearts come alive, come alive
Up out of the ashes let us see an army rise
We call out to dry bones, come alive
God of endless mercy god of unrelenting love
Rescue every daughter bring us back the wayward son
And by your spirit breathe upon them show the world that you alone can save
You alone can save
So breathe, oh breath of God
Now breathe, oh breath of God
Breathe, oh breath of god now breathe
We call out to dry bones, come alive

Oh come alive

5. Tell Your Heart To Beat Again

Artist: Danny Gokey

American Idol thrid place finalist Danny Gokey is a former church music director. His music easily connects to your heart.

Theme

I recommend people who feel depressed or who are going through a hard time to listen to this song. It themes around turning your back on your past and looking to the future that God has in store for you.

Lyrics:

You're shattered
Like you've never been before
The life you knew
In a thousand pieces on the floor
And words fall short in times like these
When this world drives you to your knees
You think you're never gonna get back
To the you that used to be
Tell your heart to beat again
Close your eyes and breathe it in
Let the shadows fall away
Step into the light of grace
Yesterday's a closing door
You don't live there anymore
Say goodbye to where you've been
And tell your heart to beat again
Beginning
Just let that word wash over you
It's alright now
Love's healing hands have pulled you through
So get back up, take step one
Leave the darkness, feel the sun
'Cause your story's far from over
And your journey's just begun
Let every heartbreak
And every scar
Be a picture that reminds you
Who has carried you this far
'Cause love sees farther than you ever could
In this moment heaven's working
Everything for your good

Oh, so tell your heart to beat again

6. Thy Will

Artist: Hillary Scott and The Scott Family

Hillary Scott is the co-lead singer of Lady Antebellum who relased a gospel album with her family to 'show the world a part of who she is'

Theme

This song is great for people who are struggling with submitting to God's Will. It showcases a human tendency to try to understand what God is doing in our lives, but reinforces the fact that the only thing that actually matters is that God's Will be done. 

Lyrics:

I’m so confused
I know I heard you loud and clear
So, I followed through
Somehow I ended up here
I don’t wanna think
I may never understand
That my broken heart is a part of your plan
When I try to pray
All I’ve got is hurt and these four words
Thy will be done
Thy will be done
Thy will be done
I know you’re good
But this don’t feel good right now
And I know you think
Of things I could never think about
It’s hard to count it all joy
Distracted by the noise
Just trying to make sense
Of all your promises
Sometimes I gotta stop
Remember that you’re God
And I am not
So
Like a child on my knees all that comes to me is
Thy will be done
Thy will be done
Thy will
I know you see me
I know you hear me, Lord
Your plans are for me
Goodness you have in store
I know you hear me
I know you see me, Lord
Your plans are for me
Good news you have in store
So, thy will be done
Thy will be done
Thy will be done
Like a child on my knees all that comes to me is
I know you see me

I know you hear me, Lord

7. Word of God Speak

Artist: Mercy Me

A contemporary Christian music band, best known for their hit sing 'I can only imagine'.

Theme

This song is also one of my favorites because it opens us up to hearing the Word of God speak. We are often to caught up in speaking that we forget to listen when worshiping God.

Lyrics:

I'm finding myself at a loss for words
And the funny thing is it's okay
The last thing I need is to be heard
But to hear what You would say
Word of God speak
Would you pour down like rain
Washing my eyes to see
Your majesty
To be still and know
That you're in this place
Please let me stay and rest
In your holiness
Word of God speak
I'm finding myself in the midst of You
Beyond the music, beyond the noise
All that I need is to be with You

And in the quiet hear Your voice

8. King Of The World

Artist: Natalie Grant

Natalie aimed at a career as a school teacher before getting her calling from God to share her voice with the world.

Theme

King of The World reminds us that God is King over everything and that we cannot limit Him, even if we often do in our minds.

Lyrics:

I tried to fit you in the walls inside my mind
I try to keep you safely inbetween the lines
I try to put you in the box that I've designed
I try to pull you down so we are eye to eye 
When did I forget that you've always been the king of the world?
I try to take life back right out of the hands of the king of the world
How could I make you so small
When you're the one who holds it all
When did I forget that you've always been the king of the world
Just a whisper of your voice can tame the seas
So who am I to try to take the lead
Still I run ahead and think I'm strong enough
When you're the one who made me from the dust
Ohhhh, you set it all in motion
Every single moment
You brought it all to be

And you're holding on to me

9. Dance

Artist: Jesus Culture

Jesus Culture started as a youth outreach ministry at Bethel Church and has become a phenominal force. It has its own record label: Jesus Culture Music.

Theme

Dance inspires worship that allows the Spirit to move within us.

Lyrics:

I'm after your heart, why should I be still
When the worship starts Lord
I'm so in love with you
What can man do, can't hold me back anymore
You spin over me, and you are pleased when
I spend myself on you
I'm gonna let go now, really worship
Letting my dance come forth
Dance, dance
Let the Spirit move you
Dance, dance

Holy Spirit in you

10. Let It Rain

Artist: Michael W. Smith

Michael W. Smith is another worship powerhouse in the Christian industry with many fantastic songs. One of my favorites of his is Let it Rain.

Theme

Let It Rain asks for a downpour of the Holy Spirit.

Lyrics:

Let it rain, let it rain.
Open the floodgates of heaven
Let it rain, let it rain.
Open the floodgates of heaven
Let it rain, let it rain.
The Lord reigns, let the earth be glad
Let the distance shores rejoice
Clouds and thick darkness surround Him
Righteousness and justice are the foundation of His throne
A fire goes before Him and consumes His foes on every side
His lightning lights up the world
The earth sees and trembles
The mountains melt like wax before the Lord
Before the Lord of all the earth
The heavens proclaim His righteousness
And all peoples will see His glory
We want to see Your glory, God!
Do you want to see His glory?

Lift your voices, lift your hands!

This is a very short list and I know that I have missed so many great songs that are out there. Please share your favorites with us in the comments below.

No comments:

Post a Comment